So our "friend" G is introducing Google Wave sometime "later this year". Interesting video on their official page here (1 hour and 20 minutes is a bit long for a preview ... but I'll deal with it- barely). There is a briefer product overview here.
They're calling it a "communications and collaboration" product. It's very unclear to me all what it can do and probably won't until it comes out, however, there is a good amount of excitement (and funding) around this product. There is discussion on the still active Official Google Notebook blog as to whether Wave will be a/the replacement to Notebook. Overall, no consensus is appearing about Wave.
But the OVERIDING consensus is and remains:
- We want Notebook to continue being developed ... not Docs, Wave, etc.
- We want the Notebook extensions
- If 1 and 2 are not possible ... we want the code or open source Notebook
- Google has significantly injured their reputation and trust amongst it's most loyal users
- Google has completely ignored our pleas
I think I now know what it feels like to be a scorned lover that is slowly becoming a creepy stalker? Weird huh?